AS220 Youth: Digital Arts Coordinator
AS220 Youth is a free arts education program serving young people 14-20, with a special focus on those in the care and custody of the State. We maintain formal partnerships with the RI Training School, a juvenile detention facility, and UCAP middle school.
The primary work of the all AS220 Youth staff is to engage young people in art-making workshops that will lead to an increase in skills and self-esteem. Staff are also responsible for developing para-professional opportunities for youth in art, design, and technology, so they have direct experience working as creative professionals.
Because many of the youth in our program have already entered the juvenile justice system and/or remedial education, AS220 staff must have a strong commitment to serving “beyond risk” youth. This includes providing basic social supports and case management on an as-needed basis.
The Digital Arts Coordinator will design and implement AS220 Youth’s technology program, called the Fabratory. The Fabratory includes 2D and 3D design, video game development, and computer competency.
Our current priority for the Fabratory is expanding our video game design curricula. We are looking for a technical artist with strong management skills to head up this initiative.
The Digital Arts Coordinator is a full-time, supervisory position. The Coordinator will be teaching at our 3 program sites and supervising additional instructors and interns. The Coordinator will manage the Fabratory budget and will be responsible for maintaining all hardware and software for the studio.
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following qualifications:
– A strong portfolio of creative work that includes illustration, 3D modeling, character development and/or engine integration
– Prior teaching experience
– Familiarity with both Mac and Windows platforms
– Have a passion for video games including game play, modding, and texture mapping
– Proficiency in polygonal modeling program and digital sculpting
– Experience using open source software including Blender, Sculptris, and InkScape, as well as Adobe Creative Suite
– An ability for communicate complex technologies and programs on a basic level
– An ability to coordinate and organize people both individually and in group environments
– IT and networking knowledge that will inform a sustainable, cost effective resource plan for acquiring and maintaining computers, software and other equipment
– Knowledge of programing languages including C+ and C++ a benefit, but not required
Compensation: AS220 has an “equal pay” policy; all full time staff (including the Artistic Director and the Managing Director) are paid a $35,300 salary per year and receive full health benefits with no employee co-pay. Generous and flexible vacation time is offered, along with opportunities for education, professional development, and sabbaticals.
To apply, please send a resume, samples of your creative work, and 2 references to AS220 Youth Director, Anne Kugler at email@example.com.
All candidates must clear a criminal background check, in accordance with policies established by the RI Department of Children, Youth, and Families.